Pretty Campy


Although I doubt if I will ever be invited to the Met Gala, that uber-extravagant ball held the first Monday in May to benefit the Costume Institute at the Met Museum, I do make it my business to try and see the exhibit once all the hoopla has died down. Just think. I get to see the same thing that Rhianna sees for only a fraction of the cost!

This year's theme, CAMP: Notes on Fashion, was a wacky assemblage of over-the-top fashion and accessories spanning several centuries. In the background Judy Garland's "Somewhere over the Rainbow" was piped in and gazing at the exhibit you realized you "weren't in Kansas anymore." Indeed.

Based on an essay by Susan Sontag, the exhibit tries to capture what "camp" means and how it has evolved over the years. Seems like the color pink and Oscar Wilde have a lot in common when it comes to the notion of camp. Both were featured prominently in the exhibit.

Here are a few of my favorite pieces at the exhibit including stock images and a few of my own.













For more information of the exhibit, here is a video. Enjoy!







Comments